Authors: Fatima Hussain Felemban
The objective of this paper is to incorporate pragmatic principles in teaching and learning English, in general, and drama, in particular. These pragmatic principles include the Irony Principle, the Banter Principle, the Interest Principle and the Pollyanna Principle. These principles are taken from Leech's book Principles of Pragmatics (1983). Thus, this paper will answer the following questions:
1. What is the Irony Principle?
2. What is the Banter Principle?
3. What is the Interest Principle?
4. What is the Pollyanna Principle?
5. How are these principles achieved by speakers and hearers in face-to-face interaction?
Moreover, these principles will be applied to Oscar Wilde's play The Importance of Being Earnest (1894) to signify their role and importance in real life and to show how they work in dramatic dialogue which is very close to, if not exactly the same as, naturally occurring conversations.